What is RBO?
The Register of Biofuels Origination (RBO) is an industry initiative aiming to facilitate compliance with the provisions of the Renewable Energy Directive (RED 2009/28/EC) and the Fuel Quality Directive (FQD 2009/30/EC) with respect to Extra Incentivised Biofuels (EIBs) Substances.
Members of the Consortium intend to provide the EU industry as well as EU and Member States public authorities with a single pan European tool for harmonising the secure registration and certification of Extra Incentivised Biofuels. The innovation of the RBO is that it gives the stakeholders – through membership to the Consortium - the responsibility for the accurate trade and production of Extra Incentivised Biofuels feedstock and substances.
Reasons for requiring improved certification:
- To ensure accurate reporting of type at production level; i.e. we make what we say we make.
- Impossible or difficult to confirm nature of bio-ethanol, biodiesel or bio-methane from technical testing after production.
- Need for assurance of type (double-counting or not) before biofuel is first traded.
Reasons for requiring strong traceability:
- To ensure no ‘double accounting’ of double-counting
- Current ease of magnifying the volume of double-counting biofuels through inappropriate trading.
- Inability of Member States to be sure of volumes of most sustainable biofuels traded into their Nation and therefore their claims of attaining both FQD and RED targets.
- Inability of EU to be confident of Member States' claims of GHG reduction.
Why a Consortium?
- Cross-Industry led and designed solution
- Independent and technology neutral
- Wide stakeholder base
- Potential for improving traceability for all renewables, industry and certification experts
What are RBO main goals?
- To support to investments in advanced biofuels
- To minimize the risk of potential improper reporting of double counting biofuels, from production – through trading – to end use
- To design and implement a solid and business-friendly certification system
- To create a single EU-wide register for the trading of extra-incentivised biofuels
- To achieve acceptance and adoption of the scheme across the EU